Close

Create A New Profile

If you would like to apply to be a mentor, then please submit your resume. One of our representatives will get back to you shortly with the next steps.

vennela's blog

College Applications with COVID-19

vennela

By Vennela22 Mar 2021

As the #pandemic continues to impose restrictions on our daily lives, it also introduces a new collection of obstacles for #collegeapplicants. Shifts in recent semester grading means that many of the traditional components of an application are absent, and colleges are now modifying their standards. For instance, many schools around the nation no longer require standardized test scores, such as the #SAT and #ACT. Academic strengths are becoming increasingly difficult to convey since semester grades have converted to pass/fail. #Extracurriculars and other resources that may enhance a student's application are also on hold, leaving applicants with far less content to attach. As a result, #universities are encouraging #applicants to include whatever they see fit in their applications. This freedom enables individuals to express themselves in other fields, such as through interests or actions taken during the lockdown. It's fair to assume that admissions officers are more willing to engage with your character than your scores. How you spend your time during lockdown may be one way your character is evaluated. Colleges seek students who take initiative, follow through with their ideas, and use their time effectively. Since lockdown is still in effect in many areas, it would be wise to get a head start on the above if you haven't already. Ultimately, though the #college #admissionprocess is transforming due to the impact of the #coronavirus, it may offer new potential, especially for those with less-than-perfect academic performance.

Demonstrated Interest

vennela

By Vennela22 Feb 2021

#Demonstratedinterest is what shows a #college how eager you are to attend their school. It’s what lets the school know whether they are your first, last, or any other choice. Expressing demonstrated interest can take minimal to zero cost, though has extremely high benefits. 16% of colleges consider demonstrated interest as having “considerable importance” in the #admissionsprocess, and another 24% of institutions rate it as “moderate importance.” When adding these two together, the percentage of schools who value attention from applications is 40%, higher than your admission based on the #collegeinterview (22%) or class rank (38%). The act of expressing demonstrated interest can be practiced well before applying for admission. In fact, showing devotion to a particular school for a longer period of time may have more rewards. Being active with your choice of school’s social media, staff, and campus may greatly increase your chances of admission. Demonstrated interest can be shown to colleges by completing an online request form, personally contacting your #admissionsofficer, and/or attending a formal admissions event (post pandemic). A unique way to show demonstrated interest to a college is by taking part in #researchprograms offered in your interested field. #SkoolMentor is an organization which can connect #highschool and #undergrad students to researchers in the fields of #cancer research, #businessanalytics, and more. The "#WhyThisCollege" essay is extremely valuable, and is an opportunity to write a love letter to your desired college. You can't forget the ultimate key to demonstrating interest—applying #earlydecision.
Subscribe to RSS - vennela's blog